Monday, October 31, 2011

Five Really Cool Things


With November finally here I have about two months to spend a little time thinking about how best to spend my two-week break with the family.  Normally a mid-tour leave from Afghanistan consists of a trip to Europe or some other exotic place but when the kids are in school it makes sense to stay close to home.  Fortunately there seems to be plenty to do in the Pacific Northwest so I’m doing my homework and trying to plot a course of action.  I’ve got some pretty good ideas but I’ll certainly take any suggestions you might have to offer.

So here are a few of my ideas on things to do on leave:


Great Wolf Lodge and Water ParkI have to give credit to Rinni for this one because back in June when I was preparing to leave she suggested that if I came home in winter, our options would be very skewed.  That’s why an indoor water park with all the perks seemed like a great idea.  My biggest consideration is to find something our twins (9) will enjoy and since both swim like little fish it makes perfect sense.  The Great Wolf also has plenty for big kids like Rinni and I so while the boys are wrapped up with one of the large kid group programs, we can take a detour to the spa.  It’s a bit expensive but I’m sure the boys will love it and we’ll enjoy the family-friendly fun.


Crab Pot:  Speaking of Mischief and Mayhem, one of their favorite places to eat happens to be in downtown so the Crab Pot is a must.  Tyler has the ability to eat two adult-sized portions all on his own and the window shopping and outdoor market should help us work up and appetite.  Lots of variety and quality seafood with reasonable prices makes this a favorite stop for locals and tourists. 





Space Needle:  Of course if the weather is frightful we’ll still have to work up an appetite so I’m thinking a trek up to the top of the Space Needle would do the trick.  Anchoring the Seattle skyline, this is one of the spots the boys have really wanted to see since we moved to the area.  It’s time to make good and take the trip, though it will be interesting to see how the boys like heights of that magnitude.  A nice gander at the city and sound, a family photo or two and we’ll be on our way to the museums below.


Vancouver vs. Detroit: For me, just spending time with my beautiful wife and two little monsters is all I need for this vacation but since we’re exploring all options, I think a couple of tickets to the greatest game on earth is in order; professional ice hockey.  It just happens that the Red Wings and Canucks are playing in Vancouver on February 2, while I’m home but we may have to work with the scalpers since they are already just about sold out.  Being a Wings fan my whole life I can’t think of a better treat coming home from a combat zone.

Number five I have to keep to myself since Rinni occasionally reads this blog and this one is all about her.  To me there is nothing more beautiful or rewarding than bringing her a smile so number five absolutely is all about some quality time with the person I love most.

Of course these are just a few things I’m considering for R&R leave this winter but I’m always open to suggestions so if you have good ideas or know where I can score hockey tickets, then drop a comment and pass it on.

1 comment:

Richelle Nicole said...

I think we should do everything on your list! The boys will have a blast, I'm sure. I know they would love a hockey game too!

#5 for is all about me? Hmmm, I know you won't give me hints and even if you did your hints are tricky! But I don't need anything but you.