Monday, October 24, 2011

My Top Five Vacation Spots


I have to say from the outset that I didn’t consider Alaska for this list for no other reason than our nation’s largest state is really home to me.  I would certainly recommend it to anyone with the opportunity to go but please, don’t do the cruise and think you’ve experienced what the state has to offer.  No, the list before you covers a few of the places I’ve visited and found remarkable for a plethora of reasons unique to each.  I’m not a travel agent but I’d be happy to give you a point in the right direction if any of them strike your curiosity.


Photo by Tom) - near Hall of Mosses
5.  Olympic NationalPark – This was the last trip Rinni and I took before this current deployment pulled me back to Afghanistan and it was completely her idea but it was perfect.  The park itself features plenty of trees, streams, trails and loads of fresh Pacific West air.  The ‘Hall of Mosses’ was incredible to see but so was the drive in to the park.  In fact, the entire peninsula on the most northwestern tip of Washington state offers something for just about everyone.  On the way to the park you’ll encounter Forks, the town made famous after the Twilight movies hit the big screen.  You’ll also have a chance to take a side road to La Push, which was also featured in the films and is actually part of the reservation.  The people in the small towns all around the area are who you would expect to encounter, friendly and more than willing to take the time to help an outsider find the best suited places and activities.  For me it was the fresh air in the rural outdoors with my wife that gave me such a relaxing feeling of peace. 

Photo by Tom - Sunset Beach
4.  Hawaii – It would have easily been higher on the list but I have to tell you, save up before you go.  As expensive as it is Hawaii is a place you should definitely see at some point in your traveling life.  I’ve always been an ocean-guy.  The sound of waves on a beach has an immediate calming effect, so with miles and miles of beaches, Hawaii was a great place for an extended vacation.  It’s more than beaches though, Oahu has plenty of hiking, off-roading, and a ton of Pacific-Islander culture to explore.  You can take a slow walk through Haleiwa and experience small-town island charm or take a drive down to Honolulu and be thrust into a thriving night life.  I was able to experience some of both but my favorite activity was snorkeling at Sharks Cove and Hanauma Bay.  True, there are parts of the island where only locals are welcome but if you come to the island ready to relax, you’ll have a great time.

Photo by Tom - Look kids, Big Ben
3.  London – This has to be my single favorite city and a spot I hope to see again and again.  Big Ben and Parliament be damned, get into Greenwich for a great open air market and a walk up the hill to see the actual international dateline.  If you need to sate your inner-hippy then try starting at Trafalgar Square and work your way to the art and theater district.  The thing about London is that getting around the city is a snap if you’re not afraid to ride the tube.  I’ve not seen so many museums that were so accessible anywhere else on earth.  D.C. is close but London has it beat by a few centuries.  The nightlife is great and there really is something for everyone from the penny-pincher to the high-roller.  The folks in most part of the city are great and if you like a pint with your meal you’ll easily get what you’re looking for in Kensington, Earls Court, or Piccadilly.  Best city on the planet! 


Photo by Tom - The Alpspitz
2.  Garmisch-Partenkirchen – The alps have everything to do with why this little spot in the very south of Bavaria is nearly my favorite rest and relaxation destination.  The language can be difficult even if you speak German simply because the dialect is very different but it won’t impede you from having a good time.  You’ll find great skiing in the winter and some great hiking in the summers, but year round the views are like nothing you’ll ever see anywhere else.  While you can obviously find plenty of delicious German restaurants in the area, they also feature other cuisine to include Italian and Greek.  Try them all and honestly, even after a multitude of trips there over the years I can honestly say I never had a meal I didn’t love.  The accommodations run the gambit from your hostel to the resort but if you’re looking to really enjoy the quiet nights taking in the mountain air then you have to see Hans and Bergita at the Edelweiss Hotel.  Just don’t mistake it for the American-run Edelweiss Lodge and Resort.  Make sure to get out and see some of the other local attractions to include Neuschwansteincastle and Linderhoff palace.  There is plenty to do and enjoy for singles and families.

Photo by Tom - Delphi
1.  Greece – Variety is the spice of life here, in both the terrain and people you will encounter.  I’ve never travelled to any country where I felt more welcome than my trip to Greece two years ago.  I enjoyed every part of that two-week vacation, from the quite island life in Poros to the hustle and bustle in Athens.  We based out of a rented villa near Poros for the first week and branched out to ancient sites within easy driving distance.  You can catch one of the speedy hydra-ships and island hop for the day or weekend or just pick a spot on the beach and hang out.  Being a cheese loving guy I fell in love with Saganaki and the wine was pretty tasty too.  Athens is an amazing city with one of the largest outdoor markets I’d ever seen, stretching for city block after block.  You can miss the Acropolis and a modest bus ride will get you to Poseidon’s temple.  I even made it a point to drive out and see the ‘Hot Gates’ where Leonidas’ 300 Spartans made their stand.  Though the landscape has changed a good deal it’s worth seeing if you have the time.  Probably one of the most spiritual places on earth is there in Delphi.  The ruins go all the way up the side of the mountain where you will be left absolutely speechless for the incredible views across ancient columns into the valley below.  There is definitely a unique and peaceful vibe in Delphi.   The absolute charm across the entire peninsula in both landscape and people are why Greece is my clear number one vacation spot. 

Want a tip or to share your own experience at one of the locations on this list then by all means drop a comment.  I also have loads of photos from most of the places listed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been to 3 of your places. I wish I had made the trip to London. One of the reasons why I joined the Army was because I have seen more in just a few short years than most people will see in an entire life time...and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Frank

Suri said...

Been to Germany but not sure if the village that we went to was in Bavaria. The scenery looks very similar. Very informative travel blog here. Definitely, I need to visit London in my future vacation plans.