Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why I Came Back - Reason 2

In an effort to reflect on this second consecutive trip to Afghanistan and remind myself that what we're doing matters, I'm posting the reasons here.  Agree or don't, that's not the point because we can all banter on about the politics, the winning and losing, the cost, the sacrifice and whether or not it's been worth it.  A year ago it was simple, a discussion with my wife and a lot of soul searching and we decided I needed to be back.  Beyond all the motivations then I am weekly finding and experiencing things that reinforce my resolve.

Reason number 2 ( a pair):

A hopeful pair
Every so often I get to travel outside the compound and visit a few of the area schools that do their best to give underprivileged children an education.  For weeks we've been collecting school supplies from generous donors so they have the bare essentials for learning.  

This pair to the left represent hundreds of children I've seen who want nothing more than an opportunity at a better life and they know that an education will be what makes the difference.  Empowering them with these tools will make the biggest, most lasting difference in Afghanistan.  So for them, coming back was something worth doing.

Reason number two, a pair symbolizing so many.  Drop in again next week for another reflection and as always, your thoughts and comments are welcome.

3 comments:

Richelle Nicole said...

You have such an amazing and generous heart! You guys are doing great work over there and I know you're making a difference in the lives of so many of those children!

Pabkins said...

Yes! Everyone deserves an education.
Did you take the photo?

Anonymous said...

@Pabkins---I did take the photo and I concur with your first part because it will make the difference.