Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Five More Little Things

It’s time to share with you the weekly list of some little things that make a difference on deployment.  The last two weeks have focused on some of the positives you only get while deployed.  This week I’m going back to a few of the things I’m really looking forward to having when I get back.  While there is nothing more special than having your family with you, these are a few of the little things I certainly appreciate more now that I’m without them.



Absolutely numero uno on this list is the reason I’m excited about the drive to work each day.  Yeah, the satellite radio helps but there is something that reinvigorates you when you step on the gas and feel that growl turn into a roar.  Feeling the road and the wind helps me find a calmer place before I head home in the evening and it’s the morning wake-up without the coffee.





Speaking of…how about a real, almost gourmet cup of the good stuff?  I take a tremendous amount of pride in delivering something like this for my Rinni.  Yes, I like it black sometimes too but there is something special about a well-made cup made in my own home, especially after a big evening meal.  




Yes, a big home-made meal is certainly something I savor.  Not that the food is horrid here but nothing replaces the ingredients I pick out and put together on my own and let’s not forget Rinni’s handiwork with the Chicken Adobo.  She likes the rice and I prefer noodles but either way it’s brilliant and sorely missed.




I also miss those solitary moments on the beach.  Hell, I miss the water in general considering we’re land-locked and surrounded by angry people so a beach, any beach would be great.  I think I’d even let the boys bury me again.  Don't think being at the beach with the boys wouldn't be solitary?  Once they bury you it's boring for them so they quickly run off, leaving you to some peace and quiet in the cooler sand.



It's the simple freedom of movement, the ability to drive, fly, walk, ride, hike to any spot I want on earth (for the most part) and explore to my heart’s content that means so much.  I miss being able to really exercise my curiosity and explore places like Stockholm, London, the Olympic National Park, or any national park for that matter. 


Clean air and big spaces, warm drinks and tasty food, a wild ride on a long road…I miss them all.  It’s okay though, I don’t dwell other than the occasional solitary moment to appreciate and plan for the next time I can savor five more little things.

2 comments:

Richelle Nicole said...

I knew the Mustang would be first on this list! :) It's good to enjoy the little things, those things are truly the icing on my cupcake, which I'll bake you when you get home.

Dad said...

I look forward to reading these everyday. Very nice stories from a talented man.