Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Five Additional Things

Like every deployment I find the occasion to take a moment and reflect on the little things I miss and the little things I’m grateful for while far from home.  Because they’re not big things you don’t dwell on any of them and they’re easy to overlook so thinking on them helps me exercise my curious side.

So this week I have five additional things I’m grateful to have here in Afghanistan:



1.  A special kind of coffee:  Normally I don’t support the branding but I have to give it up for Mike Lavigne and the Keurig machine in the office.  Not once since I arrived have I wanted for a cup of coffee.  Not once have I needed the caffeine goodness and walked in to find and empty pot because my father-in-law drained it to the dregs and left it that way.  God bless you Keurig and Mike!







2.  Mail:  The only mail I get back home are bills or people wanting me to spend my money but here the mail I get makes me smile.  I don’t get a lot but at least here I receive the occasional care package and letter or card from Rinni.  There is nothing like those four magical words she always writes, “I love you mostesteringedshonausen”.  She’s all mine!





3.  Wardrobe:  It’s really simple here because there are basically two choices of clothing to wear; the standard combat uniform and the physical training uniform.  No decisions about shirts or ties or pants or shoes when it’s time to go to dinner…all you do is grab a couple of buddies and roll down to the dining facility in your combat-best and get your grub on.





4.  Packing Heat:  Everywhere you go you’re practicing your second amendment right to bare arms and not only is it a right, it’s a requirement.  The only thing better than a 9 on my hip would be a .45ACP Springfield 1911 but I’ll stick with the Beretta for now.




5.  No non-operational Driving Required:  Everything is in walking distance.  Whether it’s grabbing a meal, picking up mail, dropping off laundry, going to or from work, it’s all right here and within walking distance.  Even better is the $4.00 a gallon I’m not paying to do all those things!



So a short little list of the five additional things I’m grateful to have.  If you’re a current or former deployer feel free to comment.  If you’ve never experienced a place like this then use your imagination and leave a comment.  More things next week…don’t forget to sign up for e-mail delivery or become a follower on the right side and...you can use the little icons below to tell others to drop in to The Way Station.  Cheers!  

1 comment:

broadcastmike said...

You're welcome brother! Looks like I'll get more use out of it soon!