Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Reviewing Good Omens

Good OmensGood Omens by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was my book of the year for 2010 and a fantastic gift from my wife. I read it while on deployment in Afghanistan so the humour worked wonders for my morale. One of the wittiest fiction reads I've had in a while; fast-paced and impossible to put down and here's why---




Never in a million years did I imagine being able to laugh at the the apocalypse but Terry Pratchett had me in stitches with this story of the end of the world. The banter between your average demon and your run of the mill angel carries much of the story as they work together to stop Armageddon, not so much for our sake as their own selfish reasons.


It's an English-version modern-day Don Knotts and Tim Conway battling to save the world from Doomsday against the hordes from heaven and hell. Why? Well for no other reason than to keep themselves employed with a purpose they've enjoyed for centuries.


There are a multitude of supporting characters including a nice little boy who has to come to grips with the fact that he is the Antichrist, as well as witches and witch hunters, demons and faeries. It's a great story that will build to a fantastic crescendo as our world hangs in the balance.


Who will win this story of good siding with evil to stop good and evil? You have to read it yourself and find out.


This is my book of 2010! Thank you Terry for writing this and thank you my lovely Rinni for sending it to me in the care package.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

Richelle Nicole said...

I knew you would love this book! It had me laughing out loud, and in public places! People would look at me like I was crazy, but hey, you know a book is excellent when you get more than an internal chuckle!

Anonymous said...

Yes fan-freaking tastic book - loved it! Those two are one heck of a writing team.
Pabkins @ Mission to Read