Thursday, November 3, 2011

Why I Came Back: Reason Six

For six weeks I've shared the thoughts and insights behind my decision to come back to Afghanistan for another consecutive tour.  True, I miss my family like crazy but there were so many things that pulled me back and after talking to my wife we both realized that it was something that needed doing.  

Reason 6:  The Leader


I think it’s rare, even in the military, to find leaders you can follow instinctively because of a deep respect you have for their grasp of the job at hand, their ability to bring a team together and a trust that allows them to put every person in a position to make a difference.  That was what it was like every day that I worked at Combined Joint Task Force 82 under then Maj. General Scaparrotti.  In a division with more swagger and type-A personalities than you could shake a static line at, we fielded a team that accomplished significant progress in eastern Afghanistan.  I have no doubt that it was because of his ability to enable the entire team to perform with their individual talents and experience that led us to success in executing his campaign.  All ranks were expected to bring their A-game and encouraged to share their ideas.  So it should be no surprise that shortly after returning to Fort Bragg, N.C., an offer was presented to work with “The Boss” in Afghanistan again, there was no question in my mind.  Five months into this deployment I miss my family but I have no regrets or second thoughts.

1 comment:

Terry B. said...

It's amazing the walls you'll run through for a great leader. I'm at my third stop in the past 10 years with the guy I'm working for now.

I'm catching up on the posts from mid-October, but enjoying each of them. Stay safe over there.