Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Why I Came Back - Reason 1

Maybe what I need to do is revisit this question from time to time because when I take a minute to think about why I cam back to Afghanistan I seem to come up with solid reasons.  It's just when you're caught up in the grind that you sometimes forget but it's important to remember, particularly when you volunteer for the assignment.  So starting today and as this tour winds along we'll look at all of the reasons.

Reason number 1 (actually three in one):


Rinni with Mischief and Mayhem
I'd do anything to keep them safe, even take on another year-long deployment.  More than that is to put an end to this mess so none of my boys have to ever come back here to finish the job.

This time around though I count myself fortunate because I can talk to them often and the emails certainly help keep us all connected.

With some luck we'll maintain the momentum and find a conclusion that allows the boys to grow up without conflict and focus on things like college and seeing the world with a backpack and a rail pass instead of a rucksack and deployment orders.

Yes, reason number one and the driving force behind most of my thinking.  Would ask that you drop back in sometime next week for another installment.

As always, your comments are welcome.

3 comments:

Richelle Nicole said...

This is one of my favorite pics of me and the boys!! I know that they'll grow up as safe as we can possibly make it for them. You're an amazing man and the best father the boys could ever hope for. ;)

Pabkins said...

Yes I doubly agree with all she said. Best thing that's happened to that trio!

PS - I took that photo - loves it!

Michigan Tom said...

You have a nice family my son. I know you'll get the job done over there. Stay safe. Dad